Hey ladies! I thought I'd post some multiple choice questions to help everyone study. Good luck! ;)
1) Transpiration in plants requires all of the following EXCEPT:
a) cohesion of water molecules
b) active transport of water molecules in the xylem
c) capillary action of water in the xylem
d) root pressure
e) evaporation of water
2) A salmon swims hundreds of miles to spawn where it was hatched. This is an example of:
a) classical conditioning
d) operant conditioning
e) fixed action pattern
3) The role of oxygen in aerobic respiration is:
a) the final hydrogen acceptor in the electron transport chain
b) in glycolysis
c) in the Kreb's cycle
d) exactly the same as a cytochrome
e) to reduce NAD to NAD+
4) Which of the following is NOT caused by a mutation in a gene?
a) cystic fibrosis
c) Huntington's disease
d) Tay-Sachs disease
e) Klinefelter's Syndrome
5) The frequency of a crossing-over even occuring between any two linked genes is:
a) proportional to the distance between them
b) greater if the genes are sex-linked
c) higher if they are dominant and lower if they are recessive
d) higher if the genes are in a male
e) higher if the genes are on sepereate chromosomes
6) A species is defined in terms of:
a) geographic isolation
b) reproductive isolation
c) common ancestry
e) analogous structures
7) Which most accurately describes which way electrons flow in an active mitochondrion?
a) electron transport chain --> Krebs cycle--> ATP
b) glycolysis--> Krebs cycle-->electron transport chain
c) pyruvate--> Krebs cycle--> electron transport chain
d) Krebs cycle--> electron transport chain--> oxygen
e) All of the above are correct.
8) Polymerase chain reaction would be carried out to accomplish which of the following?
a) to prevent a virus from replicating
b) to amplify a region of DNA
c) to identify the location of a point mutagen in a genome
d) to identify a chromosome mutation
e) to prepare a specimen of DNA for X-ray diffraction
9) In an operon, the operator is the binding site for the:
b) regulator gene
d) RNA polymerase
10) A plant cell is placed into pure water. Which of the following will occur?
a) water will flow into the cell because the water potential inside the cell is higher than it is outside the cell
b) water will flow into the cell because teh water potential inside the cell is lower than it is outisde the cell
c) water will flow out of the cell because the water potential inside the cell is lower than it is outside the cell
d) water will flow out of the cell because the water potential inside the cell is higher than it is outside the cell
e) water will not flow into our out of the cell because the cell wall prevents water from diffusing in or out.
1.B 2.C 3. A 4.E 5.A 6.B 7.B 8.B 9. C 10. B
(These Q's are from Barron's AP exam prep book. I don't really recommend it because we have all the notes but the multiple choice questions are good)
P.S. I read the book "My Sister's Keeper" which was recommended below and it was really good. I think a lot of people would like it- if anyone wants to borrow it I have a copy.