AP BIO MNEMONIC LIST
UNIT I – Chemistry
FOR ORGANIC MOLECULES
1) Clean Later Party Now
2) Mono-Zach-and Cody ride in a Car (monosacharides make up carbohydrates)
Lipids-- I tell them to think of A. Jole and what are her lips filled with? fat--fatty acids
Proteins-- Proteams are Mean, also when you eat ribs you get protein (ribosomes make proteins)
I tell my kids that I'm a guy playing a lute and I'm getting sucked into the vent. Solute into solvent
FOR OXIDATION AND REDUCTION:
1) LEO (the lion) says GER
LEO- loss of electrons is oxidation
GER- gain of electrons is reduction
2) OIL RIG
Oxidation is loss, reduction is gain
FOR CATIONS AND ANIONS:
1) Cations are pawsitive, anion stands for "a negative ion".
2)cation = notice the positive sign in the middle of the word.
anion = notice that the "an" sounds like the "n" in negative.
UNIT II – Cells
FOR THE TAXA:
1) Kings Play Chess on Fiber Glass Stools
2) domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species=
Did King Phillip come over for good steak?
3) King Paul Ordered some Funky Green Spinach (Kingdom, Phylum, Order Family Genus, Species)
4) Kinky People Cry Out For Good Sex.
5) "Kids playing catch on freeways get squished" - so now I pass this on to my students. I always tell them that I also learned it when I was their age.
Now, I just add "DUMB kids..." (for domain at the beginning!!).
FOR PHOTOSYNTHESIS AND CELLULAR RESPIRATION
1) N-A-D and F-A-D take H and e to the E-T-C to make A-T-P.
2) NADPH or NADH? THe P stands for photosynthesis (Ok, I know it really doesn't but the never mix the two up after this!)
1) In a hypOtonic solution, the cell will swell up like an "O"
2) When a cell is in a hypOtonic solution, it swells up like a balloon (O-shaped) and the cell cries out "OOOOOOHHHHHH!" as it is about to explode. when a cell is in a hypERRRRtonic solution, it shrivels and moans "ERRRRRR."
3) Hypo sounds like hippo; Hippo's are fat, and if they get too fat they will pop. I would silently repeat the phrase: Hypo, hippo, fat, pop, before answering any questions on the distinction between these two definitions.
4) Hypertonic solutions, have a high concentration of solutes, like sugar makes you hyper.
FOR CELL CYCLE
1) For mitosis, I made up a song in the shower one day to the tune of YMCA; the kids even get up and make their arms into P - M - A -T
YOUNG CELL/ WELL YOU HAVE TO GROW UP
UNTIL YOUR SA/ TO VOLUME RATIO’S TOO SMALL
and THEN YOU/ MUST DIVIDE OR YOU’LL DIE
SO YOU’LL UN-DER-GO MI-TO-SIS
G1/ S AND FINALLY G2
DOUBLING NUCLEUS/ AND THE CELL CONTENTS TOO
AND THEN YOU/ WILL BEGIN TO DIVIDE
SO YOU’LL UN-DER-GO MI-TO-SIS
HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY
OH YES A CELL MUST GO THROUGH
P M A T
OH YES A CELL MUST GO THROUGH
P M A T
PROPHASE AND MET-A-PHASE
AN-A-PHASE AND TEL-O-PHASE
2) Ralph - Ipmat
R - Replicate - Interphase
a - appear - Prophase
l - line up - Metaphase
p - pull apart - Anaphase
h - half and hide - Telophase & Cytokinesis
3) I'm Pretty Mean And Tough
4) Interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, cytokinesis= I pray monthly at the church
5) Metaphase = chromosomes in the Middle
Anaphase = Apart
6) IPMAT- I Pee on the MAT
7) IPMAT - I punched MAT
(suggested by a student named MATT!)
8) IPMAT = I Poop More After Tacos
9) I Passed My Algebra Test
UNIT III – Genetics
1) PHenotype is what you'd see in a PHoto (when I start the unit, we're usually looking first at visible traits like rolling the tongue, skin color, etc, then get more complicated)
2) You can remember that your "phenotype" is your"physical appearance" because both start with "F".
1) When writing the letters C and G both curved, so they match up
When writing the letters A and T only straight lines are used, so they match up
2) Cytosine, Uracil and Thymine are all PYrimidines, because you CUT a pie.
Pyrimidines are a single ring, just like a pie is drawn as a single circle
If you can remember CUT and pyrimidine, then the others (Adenine and Guanine) are purines and a double ring
2) GUANINE AND ADENINE ARE PURINES "GREEN APPLES ARE PURE"
thymine and cytosine PYRIMIDINES "TORTILLA CHIPS ARE SHAPED LIKE PYRAMIDS" (ALSO HAVE Y IN THEIR NAME LIKE PYRIMIDINE
3) how many rings does a purine have – 2 RINGS - think guanine and adenine have 2 "N" in their name
4) how many H bonds between C and G – 3 H-BONDS - think C is the third letter of alphabet
5) C - G = chips always goes with guacamole
A - T = at Taco Bell
6) If your kids know the show "24", Jack Bauer works for the CTU (Counter Terrorist Organization) or (cytosine, thymine, uracil). They protect the pyramids (pyrimidines)
7) Pure As Gold (The purines are Adenine and guanine).
1) Adenine matches with Uracil, when changing to RNA because, as I tell my students, DNA (adenine) is the boss and gets to tell mRNA to go out to the cytoplasm and deliver the messages..."Hey you, go deliver this to the ribosome" = "A U, go deliver this to the ribosome" (very New Yawk!)
2) What does the cell do with InTrons? puts them In the Trash
3) INtrons are "IN the way" and need to be removed
EXons are Expressed
4) INtrons are IN between the genes
1) For ribosomes, the three sites are A (arrive) P (park) E (exit)
UNIT IV – Mechanisms of Evolution
FOR THE NAMES AND SEQUENCE OF THE GEOLOGICAL EONS AND PERIODS:
1) Happily Arguing, Pregnant Camels Often Sit Down Carefully.
Perhaps Their Joints Creak.
Possible Early Oiling Might Perhaps Prevent Rusting.
Hadean Archaean Proterozoic Cambrian Ordovician Silurian
Permian Triassic Jurassic Cretaceous
Paleocene Eocene Oligocene Miocene Pliocene Pleistocene Recent
2) Can Olivia See Down My Pants Pocket?
The Janitor Can!
Cambrian Ordovician Silurian Devonian Mississippian
Triassic Jurassic Cretaceous
UNIT V – The evolutionary History of Biological Diversity
UNIT VI – Plant Form and Function
FOR XYLEM AND PHLOEM:
1)xy goes up high, phlo goes down low
2) Phloem. The ph sound like food, transports "food" not water
3) To remember Xylem and Phloem, we remember that xylem carries water, and that "X" and "W" are next to each other in the alphabet, and that Phloem carries Food (sounds phonetically the same)
4) You xyl'em on up,
and you phlo'em on down!
(repeat as you march/dance)
5) water "zips up the xylem" and food "flows down the phloem".
UNIT VII – Animal Form and Function
1) To remember the hormones of the anterior pituitary, we sing them to the "ABC" song:
ACTH, LH, FSH, GH, TSH, PROLACTIN.....and MSH (sang like "and many more" in the Happy birthday song)
2) Calcitonin versus Parathyroid hormone:
Calcitonin = deposits calcium IN the bones (students usually
associate calcium with bones, not blood)
PTH - Perhaps Trash the Hip (weakened bones = damaged hip)
3) When Na+ asks the axon if it is okay to enter (during the resting state), the cell says No Admittance.
When K+ asks the axon the same question, the cell says (o)K!
1) Properly Cleaned Cafeteria Plates Need Normal Routine Maintenance After All Eating Concludes
(Porifera, Cnidaria, Ctenophora, Platyhelminthes, Nemertea, Nematoda, Rotifera, Mollusca, Annelida, Arthropoda, Echinodermata, Chordata)-
FOR HUMAN SYSTEMS:
1) SLIC MEN R RED
2) Every class tries eagerly to learn many stories. Clearly, no story actually ends purely and peacefully.
Ectoderm epidermis of skin, tooth enamel, lining of mouth, Sensory receptors in epidermis, cornea, lens of eye, nervous system, adrenal medulla, epithelial of pineal and pituitary glands.
3)Mothers naturally supply many meals of steak and iceberg lettuce, especially satisfying carrot and lentil soup, really special supper dishes like boiled cod and cabbage.
Mesoderm: Notocord, skeletal and muscular systems, Muscles of stomach and intestine layers, excretory system, circulatory and lymphatic systems, reproductive systems, skin’s dermis, lining of body cavities, and adrenal cortex.
1)7 - 12- 5
7 cervical, 12 thoracic, 5 lumbar
and then of course, it's 1 sacrum, 1 coccyx
2) For the regions of the back, we always did:
3) Valves of the heart:
UNIT IX – Ecology
LABS AND MISC
1) I decide the Independent variable
you collect Data for the Dependent variable
2) SI: Kangaroos Hop Down Mountains Drinking Chocolate Milk
OR: King Henry Died Because (basic) drinking chocolate milk [Mondays (micro)]
FEEL FREE TO ADD